One of the most influential books I have read in a long time is Bill Hybels’ Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs. The idea of the book is that often we can capture fundamental truths in some simple axioms or statements. Hybels also suggests that when these axioms become part of a community’s culture, they can become even more powerful. When this happens, they can become an almost shorthand for a key idea that the community embraces — and saying the axiom reminds everyone of that simple truth.
I keep a list of personal axioms in my journal and often write them in the front of my Bible. Here are a few that have been powerful to me lately… some original, some borrowed, all powerful.
– What you flirt with you will fall to.
– What you feed with flourish.
– Words matter.
– Life is about an audience of ONE.
– Pursuing P.E.A.C.E. is the point of life.
– The same grace that saved us is the grace that sustains and sanctifies us.
– You only love Jesus as much as you love the hardest person to love in your life right now.
– Jesus gets to set my daily agenda… life works better that way.
Admittedly, some are catchier than others… I hope you may find one or more of these helpful. Let me know if you want me to explain/expand upon any (or all) of them. I would also love to hear some of the axioms you are chewing on these days…