To be honest, I have never paid much attention to National Coming Out Day in the past… was just never on my radar. But this year — for obvious reasons — I am much more aware of it. Here is what I am praying for on this National Coming Out Day:
– That churches (especially evangelical churches) would become pace-setters in creating safe spaces for LGBT folks to encounter Christ and become fully-devoted followers of Him. I believe many LGBT folks are longing to encounter God, but feel like they can’t go to church because they will be rejected. I am praying that somehow Bible-believing churches make a priority out of trying to figure out how to do this well.
– That no one — especially teens and youth — would feel like they need to hide and live in the closet… again, especially in our churches. No matter what your theology is, hiddenness and the closet is a deadly place to live.
– That there would be a more civil dialogue and discussion between the church and LGBT’s outside the church.
– That every LGBT would know the biblical truth that there is nothing you can do, either good or bad, that will ever change how much your heavenly Father loves you right now! You are loved and cherished by your Father in heaven!
– That the church (universal) would confess and repent of homophobia and of all the barrier the church has created to LGBT’s authentically encountering God and being part of a Jesus-following community of faith.
– That LGBT’s would enter into a relationship with God and learn how to honor God with their sexuality.
Those are some of prayers… what are yours?